BGANZ VIC is seeking Expressions of Interest from Botanic Gardens, Arboreta and public gardens who would like to host a BGANZ VIC network future events.
Hosting an event is a great way to gain support and increase the profile of your garden. Benefits include:
- Raising the profile of your garden through the BGANZ network and within your organization
- Publicity surrounding the event can promote your garden both internally to managerial bodies, and externally via local media
- Developing your professional network- events are a great way to meet like minded professionals
- Gain support and advice from visiting BGANZ members on a variety of topics such as collection management, asset management, educational programs
We have three types of event you may wish to host:
Executive Committee Meetings are held during the year for committee members to plan network events and deliver projects. They require little more than providing a meeting room large enough for 12 people and providing morning tea on arrival and a light lunch following the meeting. You may then wish to offer a tour of your garden for the opportunity to discuss any issues, identify plant material and develop the network of people who can support your garden.
Network Meetings are held 2-3 times per year throughout the state and can attract up to 100 delegates. Hosting a network event involves:
- Participating in the planning of a themed event with speakers. Our program format is simple- formal presentations in the morning and a tour of your garden after lunch. Themeswill generally have been identified by BGANZand have some relevance to enable you to showcase your garden. You will have an opportunity to make a presentation on your garden during the formal program.
- Providing the venue-which does not need to be on site, for example it could be a Council facility close by.
- Arranging catering from local suppliers for a cuppa on arrival, morning tea and lunch. BGANZ is commencing event fees to enable hosts to claim $20 per head to cover catering costs.
- Arranging a tour of your garden for delegates
Plants Forums are conferences focusing on plants and horticulture. Held biannually the 2-3 day themed programs generally attract 130- 180 delegates. Organising this scale of event is supported by a working group with a long lead time for planning. If you are interested in hosting a forum we can discuss the requirements in more detail.
We are seeking expressions of interest for hosts for the 2016 and 2017. (All 2015 meetings have hosts.) Our aim is to develop a range of events which profile the wonderful gardens and arboreta of the south-west region. A small regional garden, an emerging garden, volunteer run gardens and well established gardens are equally welcome as hosts as it’s the range of unique experiences that make network events memorable.
During the selection process we like to discuss the scope of the opportunities you would like. Preference will be given to gardens who are:
- actively involved in the network
- linking network events to other major garden events eg. anniversary celebrations, project commencement or completion launches
- able to support the development of a themed program
- able to demonstrate strong support from managing agencies
- able to profile Friends of and other partnerships
We encourage all potential hosts to contact Shelley Wood, Curator, Williamstown Botanic Garden to discuss your interest further. Shelley has recently hosted a network event and is happy to share her experience with you and can be contacted on 9397 0324